Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas--a Day in the Life of Giving

by Pettis Perry

One Day of Giving = 1/365th of a Year

Without any intention to diminish or dismiss other important cultural traditions of giving e.g., Hanukkah (see this link for more information Chanukah (Hanukkah) in a nutshell) or Kwanzaa (see this link for more information Official Kwanzaa site)  I want to focus on the idea of Christmas because it is the one celebration that has such impact on humanity that it has even stopped wars, albeit if only momentarily.  

Wouldn't it be nice if, on a daily basis, we all treated each other the way we do when Christmas roles around each year? Just think of it, we smile, hold the door open for people, wish each other Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, feed each other, give thanks for what we have, pray for and give freely to others, and tell each other I love you! We even do things we would not normally do, like paying someone's toll when crossing a bridge, all in the name of Christmas. 

What is it about these things that we cannot do on a daily basis as a way to create and express meaning for ourselves and others; and more importantly to co-create a better world? Why are these things so difficult for us to do on a daily basis?

I for one do not get it. It is so is easy to live in this way on a daily basis. To see a child smile because you held the door open for him and said "after you" or helping an elderly person walk down the stairs are such easy things to do as a way of giving to our neighbors and building a sense of community.

(2011) Pettis and Matthew Perry, A Toast to You!


Today, is about giving and cheerful spirits.  In recognition of this special day, I want to acknowledge the many gifts I've received making it one of the most extraordinary weeks of giving by people I know. You know who you are so thank you.

 As I think more deeply about today, I realize that maybe I have been wrong about Christmas. Maybe Christmas does come more than one time each year and I just didn't see it. Let me count the ways that I have been touched this year. 

Well, I began 2011 fighting with my boss. By the end of the year, our relationship had become stronger making it possible for us to do great things in 2012. When I was confronting a dark night of the soul, my son and his teammates reached out and embraced me at the darkest of my moments. They allowed me to share in and enjoy some of the greatest moments in their young lives as they pursued and won their league championship. Their generosity gave me hope and let me know I was not alone. When I needed someone to talk to about what was happening to me, someone was kind enough to listen and to take me to my medical appointments. When the moment of truth finally came, my Life threatening medical emergency resolved itself leaving my doctors baffled at what happened and leaving me a much wiser and more appreciative person. When my students, who I live to serve, rebelled and threatened my job security they caused me to grow as a teacher and to produce a course survival guide that has now become a teaching exemplar for my employer. When I wanted to celebrate my birthday someone made it possible for my son and me to celebrate my birthday at a beautiful resort. When I needed a place to live, several of you made your homes available to me. When I thought one of my childhood dreams would never be fulfilled, someone fulfilled my dream and in so doing answered a lifetime of prayer. When I needed to speak about things that have been boiling to the surface, someone showed me how to use my voice. When I thought about giving up on teaching, someone asked me to be their mentor. And, when I thought about how many blessings I had already received this year, someone gave me something I truly love.

This Christmas I have been given an extra special gift. My gift is coming to realize that while we make Christmas a special day of giving and cheer, everyday is potentially a Christmas Day--all we have to do is to appreciate what Life has to offer us on a daily basis and we will see the many gifts presented to us on a daily basis. 

What I have learned this Christmas is that the Universe (my word for God) is truly designed to provide abundance rather than scarcity. Give and give freely, and the many gifts will be returned many fold. Open our hearts and they will be filled with wondrous surprises. Give thanks and new worlds will open to us because we will have learned to appreciate the many little things that come to us on a daily basis and that have such large impacts on our lives without us even realizing it.

What I have learned this Christmas, is that in giving unselfishly we can have the Merriest of  Christmas' and the Happiest of New Years each day rather than waiting for a designated time to celebrate. By appreciating the gifts we receive on a daily basis we learn that giving and receiving does not only happen 1/365th of the year but potentially every day of the year. We simply have to recognize and appreciate what is going on around us. 

I am glad that I have taken a few moments to really think through for myself what this Christmas means to me. In so doing, what appears on the surface like a one day event each year  can be seen to extend to other days throughout the year. What has changed? Only me and my perspective--my frame of reference. Thank you Saint Nick for giving me a reason to stop and to think about what you represent. It is not about one day, but rather a way of Life. Saint Nick you work 364 days each year to bring joy to the world on one single day; and in so doing you have taught me this one day is not about the gifts you bring to people on this day--it is about the other 364 days each year when we have opportunities to share the Christmas spirit. 

To all of you, who have given your special and unique gifts to me, thank you, thank you, thank you for enriching my Life, not just today, but every day! 

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment