Friday, May 18, 2012

Do I Have An “Effective” and Healthy Life?

by Jill Cody

Part 1 of a 7 Part Series

Do I Have An Effective” and Healthy Life?: A synopsis of Dr. Stephen R. Coveys  principles as they relate to improving health

“The best way to predict the future
is to create it.” - Dr. Stephen R. Covey


We see the world as we are, not as it is, Dr. Covey said.  Dr. Covey is the author of the New York Times bestseller Seven Habits of Highly Successful People.  In this series I am going to relate Dr. Coveys concepts which I think best foster good health.

For our bicentennial, Dr. Covey researched our countrys 200 years of ethic literature.  For the first 150 years of our history, the ethic literature reflected qualities such as honesty, integrity, patience, kindness and other good character traits.  Then, more then 50 years ago, something happened.  The ethic literature started to reflect the value of personality traits over character traits such as charm, public image and attitude.  Not, there is nothing wrong with these traits.  Its just that when they are the primary ones developed and character trait development is neglected, disharmony with life and uncertainty takes hold.  There is no grounding stability to our lives.

Dr. Covey used an analogy of an iceberg.  The top of the iceberg, which can be seen, is your personality.  The part of the iceberg you dont see, the far greater part of you, is your character.  He said our society has placed too much emphasis on the value of personality traits. Doesn’t this ring true to you?  It did to me. I see it reflected in our worshiping of athletes, movie stars and those who are rich.

Not too long after my diagnosis with Lupus, I was fortunate enough to take a 28-hour training workshop based on Dr. Coveys book.  If you ever have the opportunity to take this course, I encourage you to do so.  It is not "flavor-of-the-month" material. Taking this workshop was key to my journey towards better health.  This series will share with you some of the principles I learned which helped me tremendously in identifying some unhealthy habits.

 You cant talk yourself out of something you have behaved yourself into.  These words spoken by Dr. Covey truly hit the mark for me.  I can see now how it was my behavior that led to my poor health.  I can now hear some of you saying, What is she trying to say?  That Im to blame for my illness?  Well, yes and no.  Its complicated.  Let me explain by using myself as an example.  

I was working hard, raising a family and not really feeling I had enough time to get everything done.  I was stressed out.  I was doing the best I could with the knowledge and understanding I had at the time.  I thought I was doing everything right.  I had a good job.  I had a nice house.  I had a dependable husband and delightful son.  I was going up the career ladder.  I was living the American Dream, or so I thought.  

At least I had the outward signs of it.  Inside, it was the American Nightmare. I was tired.  I was struggling to get everything done.  I created work for myself, but didnt realize it.  I didnt have time for friends nor much time for my family.  And, on top of all that, youth left me.  My body could not keep up the pace and strain. Lupus was triggered.  Now what do you think?  Was it my fault that Lupus was triggered?  Well, yes and no.  Its not my fault that I had the genetic predisposition for Lupus, but I definitely played a significant role in its being triggered.

Key to your ability to get well or prevent illness is the capacity to take a hard look at yourself.  It is not laying blame.  It is seeing your world as it is, not as you think it should be.  The good news is, if you behaved yourself into a problem then maybe you can behave yourself out of it.  That's the first major lesson I learned from the Seven Habits training.  I could literally exert some control and not be a victim of my circumstances.

The Seven Habits  program is comprised of fundamental principles for each of the seven habits.  I will review how I relate Dr. Coveys concepts to health and wellness.

FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES

Creating maturity for health:
Dr. Covey diagramed his program and called it the Maturity Continuum.  It includes each habit and three levels of maturity: dependence, independence and interdependence.  When looked at in chronological order it is obvious what stages of life are being identified.  When we are a child we are dependent on those around us for survival.  When we are an adolescent we develop independence and begin to differentiate ourselves from others.  If we are fortunate, we develop to a level, where we understand we need others to be happy and succeed in life by reaching the interdependent stage.

I look at this continuum in another way as well.  When someone is feeling sick and says things like What did I do to deserve this? Or says things like Im a good person.  Why did I get sick?  I dont deserve this.  It is the victim stage of illness.  It is the collapsing on the bedroom floor stage.  Do you think they have the ability yet to look hard into themselves and take responsibility?  Probably not.  They want to be taken care of and have others concur with their complaints and do things for them. They are in the dependent stage of their illness.

Moving to the next stage of independence is one I know very well. When I first became ill I thought I could take care of it.  I didnt think I needed anyone.  Im college educated.  I can think and plan my way out of this mess.  I didnt tell my mother I had Lupus for three years.  I didnt really have a heart-to-heart conversation with my husband and son.  You see, I could handle anything alone. You get the picture.

It was only when I became sick and tired of being sick and tired that I grudgingly moved into the interdependent stage.  I realized I needed help.  I sought out the Lupus Foundation and began to read.  I told people close to me at work so that they could help me when I needed to rest.  I sat down with my husband and son and communicated at a more honest level and asked for their help.  I told my mother.

It was only then, when I entered the interdependent stage, that I started on the road to getting well.  What is it thats in our nature which makes it hard to ask for help?  I know I didnt want to ask at all, thats why I was stuck in the independent phase for so long.  Now that Ive moved passed that mental barrier, I find that people are glad to help.  They like being needed.  They like being opened up to and I like being able to talk about it and not carry the burden alone.  It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Part 1 of a 7 Part Series

No comments:

Post a Comment