Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Importance of Stories


by Pettis Perry

Creating a meaningful life through our stories about Life

Everything in the universe that has ever or ever will exist has a story. How grand is that? Isn’t it wonderful to know that we are part of something much larger than our minds can truly comprehend? Think of it for a moment. Close your eyes and visualize what that means. Every atom, molecule, particle, grain of sand; every planet, meteor, and thought has a story. 

So, what do stories have to do with a meaningful life? The short answer is, “everything!” One such memorable story that frequently emerges in my mind comes from my childhood. For example, yesterday, I was telling my sister-in-law about one of my childhood stories and it reminded me of just how much impact this story has had on my life; and the lives of two other people as well. It was one short period of time in my life that had a profound enough impact on me (and them) for me to remember.

When I was in the 7th grade, like other industrious boys, I had a newspaper route to earn spending money for myself. Since we lived in the foothills of the Angeles Crest Mountain Range in southern California, at the end of my route I generally had extra newspapers that I threw in the garbage so that I would not have to carry them back uphill on my bicycle while riding home. One day, I was thirsty and decided to stop at a neighborhood store to see whether the owner would exchange something to drink for the extra newspapers. I felt this was a win-win situation and there was nothing to lose.

I walked into the store and spoke to the owner about the proposition and then awaited his answer. He looked at me and smiled and said “sure.” I handed him my stack of newspapers and asked whether I could have some orange juice. He said “yes, that’s fine!” I can remember as I write this story walking over to the cooler to select the juice. I picked up a quart of the juice and proceeded to the counter. I was so thirsty that I opened the juice and began to drink the cool sweet liquid.  I remarked about how good the juice was and we spoke for a few minutes before I left to return home. 

Well, that first stop led to more stops and it became a ritual for the length of time I maintained the paper route. Even after I stopped my route, I made my way back to the store to buy orange juice from the store and to say hello to the storekeeper. Our ritual continued until I moved to northern California several years later.

More importantly, some three decades later while visiting my old neighborhood I decided to stop to see whether the owner was still in business. When I walked through the door the storekeeper welcomed me as was his custom. I approached him and told my story about my childhood experiences. He smiled as tears began to well in his eyes. He said, “I am really overwhelmed by your coming back to see me because I have wondered for many years whether to sell my store because the community is changing so much and I do not know what to buy anymore to meet their needs. I’ve been wondering whether or not it matters and whether I am making a difference.” I said, “I cannot speak for anyone else but you have made a major difference in my life. You did not need my newspapers yet you were kind enough to allow me to exchange my papers for something to drink when I was thirsty. In fact, today I still drink that same brand of juice as my favorite juice.” He said, “Ironically a young lady brought me some flowers a couple of weeks ago to say thank you for helping her when she was a child. She wanted to tell me that she was now a doctor.” I respond with, "Well, you have helped two children that grew up to become doctors because I too have earned my doctorate!” At that moment, his tears became even more pronounced.

As I’ve contemplated what I would have missed had I not stopped to see whether the storekeeper was still in business, I am reminded that closing the loop to tell people “thank you” for what they have contributed to my life is a very powerful way to repay them for that kindness. I made a difference to that storekeeper as did the other doctor who stopped by to say thank you. Three people created a meaningful life experience for the other with simple acts of kindness that had truly exponential effects that in turn benefited many thousands (if not millions) of other people. 

I am so grateful that I followed my intuition to return to the store that day.  I have to think the same is true for the other doctor who came back to see the storekeeper. Three people, one store in a small town resulted in thousands of positive impacts, and in the end, millions of people have likely benefited from the actions of this one storekeeper who simply showed his kindness with two children, who in turn are doing the same for many more people. And, at least some of those people will in turn pay it forward.

This is the power of stories. They help us to connect the dots in our lives so that we can see the entire picture rather than focusing on a single incident or event. Stories are also how we embed our societal values in the lessons we have for ourselves, our children, and others. One of the most important lessons in my life occurred in that neighborhood store demonstrating how a simple act of kindness can have profound impacts. If you are as lucky as the storekeeper you will be blessed one day to learn just how much of a difference you made by simply being kind.

The moral of the story is that we never know how much of an impact we might have on others simply by being kind. Stopping to hold the door open for a child, lending a hand to help an elderly stranger down the stairs, or loaning a toy to crying child on an airplane might be insignificant acts of kindness to you, but might make all of the difference in the world to someone else. So, if you think that your stories don't matter, think again because they do! 

This story reflects a meaningful life event precisely because it was important enough for me to remember and to use whenever I am working with others as an example of the kindness that people can demonstrate towards each other; and the resulting projection the inherent power of the act has well into the future.  

What is one of your meaningful life stories? I hope you are encouraged to share a story that has brought meaning into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment